Sunday, September 24, 2017

Ideas to Transform October 31st

This last week has been an incredible whirlwind. I never could have imagined how well received my video on false traditions would be received. Within just a week and a half of publishing it, it's had over 1,566 views, several comments and shares - and an outpouring of emails from women who are very supportive of and hungry for the message.

In addition to this, there have been many questions come in about offering ideas for creating new traditions to replace Halloween. So, I thought I'd share my thoughts about that here on my blog.

For me, I felt that because the Spirit had asked me to forsake Halloween completely, any kind of fall/harvest party or "celebration" to be had on October 31st, would contradict that promise I made to the Lord. The purpose of a harvest party is to replace Halloween with something better, so that people can still feel included in some kind of a celebration on October 31st and not feel "left out" or that they are "missing out". I felt that I wasn't to treat October 31st as a special day. By treating it special, I'd still be participating in Halloween - just tailoring it to justify my choice. You can paint an apple orange, but it doesn't make it an orange.

As I pondered on this, I felt that because of the nature of October 31st and what that day is truly about, it might not be our best interest to simply do nothing. I heard "spiritual warfare" in my mind. I felt that October 31st would be the perfect evening to counteract all the negative energy, darkness, and evil that reigns on that night. So many, ideas came to mind of things that we can do with our families that bring light into the world.


The first idea that came to my mind was how the temple would be the perfect place to spend October 31st. Worshiping and serving in the House of The Lord - no better place to be. Unfortunately when I went looked at the temple schedule I learned that the temple closes early on October 31st, and I can only imagine it's so that people can celebrate Halloween. That saddened me, and was an eye opener as to how deeply rooted this false tradition is in our culture. It has taken precedence over serving in the temple. What really was an eye opener was that the temples in my area (Ogden, and Bountiful) have limited hours on October 31st (listed under "closures"). As I looked at temples outside of Utah and all throughout the world, they have regular hours on October 31st. I was dumbfounded.

If your temple schedule allows, I think it would be a wonderful idea to make an effort to serve in the temple on October 31st at any time during the day or evening. Next, talk with your family and in prayer, ask the Lord guide you as to what you could best do on that day to serve Him and bring light into this world. It might be a service project for your community, it might be an evening of praise and worship in your home with beautiful music and a spiritual feast, it might be an evening of gratitude and expressing love and thankfulness in creative ways. If you dedicate that evening to worshiping the Lord through praise, service, prayer, and love - I think He will use you as a powerful tool to counteract that darkest day of the year.

We enjoy fall treats, crafts, and activities all through the season of fall. Because of this, I don't feel the need to make October 31st about fall or harvest. I intend to make it all about "Light". It's the perfect opportunity to bring light into your home, your community, and your city on a night where so much darkness increases.

I really feel a movement has begun - and it starts in our homes. As we push darkness out of our homes, and spread the Light - this movement will spread. The more families who opt out of Halloween, the more our culture will feel a shift. If people aren't celebrating it, the temple will resume regular hours. If people aren't celebrating it - we will see less of it in the stores and on our products. It won't be the first thing to greet you when you walk into the grocery store or the bank.

If you have some great ideas for making changes to your family traditions, tag your ideas, pictures and posts with #BeCleanofHalloween on social media to share ideas and connect with others who'd also like to change their traditions. This is a great way to link together and connect!

I have some final thoughts I plan to share about this in next week's video message. So much has happened this week, and I have truly learned a lot. Stay tuned for that message, and remember that no matter what you choose to do - if it brings glory to the Lord, and light into the world - you can't go wrong! :)

7 comments:

Eduardo said...

Dear Sister: the American Fork Temple will be open all day! We've love to have you visit! Thank you for the videos.

Lindsey said...

Oh thank you! The temples in my area might be the only ones closing early. The Bountiful and Ogden temples both.

JoshandKristyPedersen said...

Thank you so much for the false traditions! I completely agree with this! I have purged myself of Halloween in our house!

Several years ago I found sort of a false tradition I had been living all my life and someone brought it to my attention. It was about food. Well, I wanted to know what God thought on this subject since he created our bodies, then he would know what's best to put into our bodies not some scientist. The spirit prompted me to read the word of wisdom in d&c 89. And WOW, I can not believe what I found there especially on the subject on meat! I had no idea! My whole life I really hadn't been living the word of wisdom as far as food goes and especially meat. I was shocked. But what was so cool is the more I studied it the more hidden treasures I found and the more I lived by the word of wisdom the more hidden treasures I found! The spirit would lead me to read scriptures in Isaiah and to go to specific chapters and then specific verses in those chapters and it was the coolest experience!!! Truly, the promises in the word of wisdom are real and especially the part of how you will find treasures, even hidden treasures!

Thank you so much for bringing hidden things into the light! It's blessed my life! I'm anxious to listen to more! Blessings to you!

JoshandKristyPedersen said...

Also, the thought came to my mind of doing kind of like a 12 days of Christmas in the way of placing a symbol on someones door the symbolizes light like an angel or a picture of Christ with a saying of something like this: with this season we are in (harvest) of abundance, this is a blessing to bless your home with Christ's saftey, light and love! May your home be abundant in Christ saftey, light and love!

I think I'm going to do this and do the knock and run thing.

Just an idea.

JoshandKristyPedersen said...

Sorry, I'm back. On the saying it could say keep this on your door throughout the harvest season and spread this blessing on to one or more person/s and pay this blessing onward and forward! Place a picture of Christ on another persons door and this saying and spread the season of spiritual abundance blessings on!

How can I make this saying better? I need help making this just right. Suggestions would be very appreciated!

Lindsey said...

That is a wonderful idea!! This time of year the neighbors all do the "bood" thing on the door with the picture of a ghost. My son was wanting to replace it with something better. I love your idea!

Lindsey said...

Yes, I have felt the same way. So many treasures lie in the word of wosdom. Thanks for sharing!