Thursday, October 19, 2017

We Sacrifice to Gain

I'm preparing a video message about this topic, but in the meantime wanted to share some thoughts. 

I came across this video on Monday and was very inspired by it.This bishop's story is so powerful and humbling! I really believe that those who lose it all in this life, truly gain everything!



I've been getting so many wonderful messages and emails from complete strangers - who are sharing their experiences and adding their thoughts to my blog and video messages. In fact, over the weekend I received a very interesting email that I was impressed to share here. I pasted my response below - leaving the writer's name anonymous. 

"Elder Maynes came to preside at our stake conference this weekend. Guess what one of the biggest themes of his message was? False traditions!!!! He said that there are only 2 types of traditions, Celestial traditions and false traditions. The false traditions that he mentioned were corruption, immorality, abuse, violence, and I added dishonesty to the list. He really stressed the fact that we need to repent and to change our behaviors and habits so that we can incorporate more celestial traditions into our lives. He said that we are constantly teaching through the choices that we make. I personally do not have children, but I know that I am an example to my brothers and sisters and that I am teaching a message with every choice that I make for good or for bad. He shared a poem about sheep that stray and how when the sheep stray their lambs follow. Basically when a sheep leaves the ninety and nine it really isn't just the one sheep that leaves the gospel path, but it draws off its lambs with it. He drew a portion of the plan of salvation and drew three paths that lead to each of the kingdoms of glory. It is our adherence to false traditions and our refusal to repent that keeps us off of the path that lead to the celestial kingdom.

The president over our mission also spoke today and he shared a recent experience where he was driving in the middle of rush hour traffic. He was consulting his GPS and instead of offering multiple routes like it often does, this time the GPS app was only suggesting one route and part of it was bright read obviously meaning that there was a huge traffic jam in the middle of the route. He said that he started thinking to himself that there must be a quicker route and turned off of the suggested route in hopes of avoiding the traffic jam. To his dismay when the GPS rerouted it told him that his new chosen path had lengthened his trip time by 25 minutes. He then explained that he started getting upset with himself for being so foolish as to get off the recommended path. He of course likened this to our needing to stay on the gospel path no matter what circumstances may befall us during mortality. I have been appreciating your videos on YouTube. I even read your blog post on the 3 tares. I can see parts of all 3 of the tares in me. The one I feel like I most resemble is the one who wants to stay ignorant. I am still holding back. I am scared that the Lord will ask something of me that I don't want to give and so I am dragging my feet and neglecting vital parts of my spiritual nourishment--personal prayer and scripture study. I am not totally neglecting these practices, but I also feel like I have not been devoting anywhere near enough time to doing them every day.

Thank you for all the good that you are doing. I am sad that people are being so mean to you, and I admire your ability to love these people and your courage to keep shining your light and sharing your message in spite of the opposition that you are facing."

My Reply

"Thank you so much for sharing. That is so neat about your stake conference! Yes, I feel it's a topic that the Lord will keep impressing upon us, because it's a big stumbling block for the saints. I think we all have a little bit of tare in us, but over the coming years, things are going to happen in our lives and in the world that will cleanse our hearts. If we struggle but we want that change, the Lord is going to help us get there if we ask Him. It's all about setting that fear aside, which can be tough to do. I think these coming years will weed the fear out of us. I think about the members of the church who lost their homes in the California fires last week. They experienced fear like they have never known before. They lost everything. They were forced out of their traditions in a way. They now have nothing left to lose. They are starting all over, and I think it will be easier for them to have that mighty change of heart because there is nothing they are holding on to. The Lord wants to help us all get that place where all we need and want is Him. If it doesn't bring us closer to Him, then we have no desire for it in our lives.

I have faith that we'll get there, but in the meantime having patience with ourselves and trusting in God is the best thing we can do :) I know my heart is changing because bullies used to be hard for me to deal with, but now they have no effect on me at all. I went through a big Abrahamic trial a couple years ago and it weeded that fear and those insecurities right out of me. That's why I'm grateful for trials.

P.S. I love the analogy of the GPS route and the path of righteousness.  That is so true!

Much love,

Lindsey"


No comments: