Sunday, February 25, 2018

Revolution Coming to the Church?


A couple weeks ago I found this article (The Coming Revolution Inside of Mormonism) and it resonated with me so much! The coming revolution that Greg Trimble speaks of, is what I refer to often as the separation of wheat and tares.

I feel blessed to lived in such a good community. I truly feel that the wheat outweighs the tares in my ward. However in regards to the whole (members throughout the world), I believe much in this article can apply. It goes beyond the boundaries of Mormonism and flows all throughout the Christian world.

The biggest issue I often tackle on my blog and in my videos is culture vs. doctrine. Sometimes we do certain things only because that's just how they've always been done. There were never any established rules, codes, or doctrines - it's just what Great Grandpa's generation started and so we continue it today. It's tradition! This goes for both things we do and things we don't do. Often times, we assume that because that's how it's always been done - then it must be the only correct way.

On my own path of getting to know my Savior on a very personal and real level, I have learned so many things that I now apply daily in my life, that I'm sure many would find very different and possibly odd. Things that were taught to me by the Spirit through the still small voice. Things that felt so right and have so deeply blessed my life and enriched my relationship with My Savior and Father in Heaven. Things that are so simple yet so sacred to me, that are not apart of mainstream culture or tradition. Things that have softened my heart, humbled me, and caused me to yearn for a day when the focus of all that we do is love.

I once told a friend of mine who often coordinates humanitarian trips to South America, "I would love to come along sometime, but not to teach English, build water pumps, or assist with medical care, I would just want to walk around the village and hug everyone. If you need someone to just love the people - I can do that, and I can do it very well!" She smiled, and said that would be a much needed role.

When I came across this article, it expressed everything I have been feeling over the past few years. To think of all the changes that have been made within our church just within the last five years is evidence of more changes to come. Many of these changes were a big shift away from tradition, and even were difficult for some members to accept. One recent change that comes to mind is the way in which Relief Society is now taught - chairs in a circle and more discussion. I have not experienced this change because I am a primary teacher but it's been interesting to hear perspective from those who have. Some love it, and some not so much. I remember reading comments on a facebook post of women who were struggling with this change. Whether it increased their anxiety, or they felt their babies were now more of a distraction, many had different reasons. Some even said they stopped going to Relief Society because of it. I wondered if small changes such as chair arrangement were to turn someone away from church, how much more would future changes on a larger scale impact a person's testimony and obedience?


Change often instigates the final straw. Many who struggle with testimony and obedience will use change as an opportunity for an exit. The small changes prepare us for the big changes. Our attitudes about small changes foreshadow our attitude about the future. We know that preparing the earth, the church, and the people for the Savior's return, means that there is much more change on the way. The first time the Savior came he brought with Him a revolution within the church, and I believe the second time He comes, He will again bring revolution to the church. But I believe this time, He will bring that revolution before His appearance to all the world. He will bring it as part of the preparation for His return. We live in that day and hour right now.

Here are the highlights I pulled from the article. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Article Highlights

Do you remember what was happening in Israel right about the time that Christ came on to the scene? Israel had started to live by their own set of oral laws and traditions, or what we might refer to today as “culture?” The “culture” in Israel when Christ showed up was one of the most judgemental and hypocritical cultures the world had ever seen. It was a very isolated and unaccepting culture. But Christ showed up and cast a net over all types of people. The Greeks, the Romans, The Samaritans, and every other nation across the globe. His net covered even the worst of repentant sinners. The only people that were excluded or damned were the unrepentant elite… the “scribes, Pharisees, and hypocrites” who “strain at a gnat and swallow a camel.” 

It was Christ who brought with him a revolution of love, empathy, and compassion. He built a culture that was geared toward the lowly of heart and revolted against those that spent their lives pointing out the flaws in others. “For ye are like unto whited sepulchers, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men’s bones, and of all uncleanness.” (Matt 23) The bulk of Israel was living according to their culture and their superstition. This has been the bane of each and every covenant society, which caused Joseph Smith to say: “What many people call sin is not sin; I do many things to break down superstition, and I will break it down.” (History of the Church, 4:445 (7 November 1841) The doctrine of this church doesn’t lose people. It’s the culture and superstition that causes unnecessary strife.

I see a place where people have study groups again to provide support for those that need friends to talk to about the things they hear on the internet and social media. I see a place where people support one another, ask questions, resolve concerns, and speak honestly about the things that give them trouble in life and in the church. I see a time where “home-teaching” is just referred to as “ministering” and more lessons will revolve around love and not quotas. I see a time where “fellowshipping” will be replaced by “friendshipping” and where pure love is a stronger motivator than guilt.

I think we’ll see a time where programmatic meetings are cut by 50% and where the efficiency of those meetings are increased by 50%. We’ll spend less time behind closed doors meeting about all the stuff we should be doing, and more time ministering to the proverbial fatherless and the widows. We’ll get back to true religion and root out any programmatic religion. 

Members will increase their personal studying of the scriptures again. Missionaries will actually start memorizing scriptures again so that there will be water in their well. And callings won’t be looked at as promotions where congratulations are in order. Any form of pageantry will die with this revolution during the uprising of the greatest generation of saints this world has ever seen.

No comments: