Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Bittersweet Change


Last weekend as my husband and I were talking about our anticipation for the announcement of our new prophet, he said, "I really hope President Uchtdorf doesn't get removed, that would be really sad." 

I replied, "I'm sure the counselors will stay the same, during my lifetime they always have." 

He responded, "That doesn't mean things couldn't change."

On Monday he flew out to Orlando on business and from opposite sides of the country we watched live online, as Russel M. Nelson took his place as the new president and prophet of the Church. To our surprise President Eyring was made Second Counselor and Elder Oaks was called as First counselor.

As I looked over at President Uchtdorf now sitting among the twelve, (the only one with his legs crossed making him stand out) I must admit I felt a bit sad to no longer see him with President Eyring, sitting next to the prophet. I wondered if I was to still refer to him as "president" or "elder"? In my mind I heard, "things are changing." 




I thought about how sad my husband would be. He has had such a connection with President Uchtdorf, naturally as they are both German. We always enjoyed telling our non-member friends and family who live in Germany that the Second Counselor of our church was German! It was always a foot in the door to generate interest about the gospel. Being in the presidency, meant at least 2-3 talks each general conference - and boy is it a treat to hear President Uchtdorf speak. 

Shortly after the announcement my husband texted me, 

No more Uchtdorf :(

I replied with encouragement, 

He'll still speak in conference and travel. We'll still see him. Maybe he'll go back in when there are changes again in the future. For some reason, the Lord needs Elder Oaks in there.

As the changes started to sink in, I looked at the new presidency and again heard, "things are changing."

2017-2018 began a shift. I have written about it on my blog and talked about it in my videos. Things are speeding up now, as we prepare for the return of the Lord. With the changes we have already seen in the church over the last several months with visiting teaching, Relief Society, missions, etc. it is clear to me that the leaders are preparing us to prepare ourselves and those around us to live closer to the Spirit and rely more on personal revelation. We are demonstrating our loyalty and dedication to the gospel. The wheat and the tares separation is happening and continues. 

Our last presidency was full of compassion and known for expressing genuine love for all - the wayward, the downtrodden, the youth, those who are different and feel out of place, and those not of our faith. Their legacy was Christ-like and a reflection of our Savior Himself. As my eyes fell upon our new presidency, I saw and felt a more firm type of love. I believe it to be a forecast of what lies ahead in these last days and for the Church. It feels as though we are entering times where we will need a firm type of love to chasten the members and stand bold against the storms that lie ahead. It is often chastening that separates the wheat from the tares. I believe that our new leadership will help the "fence-sitters" on many issues. There will no longer be gray members. There will be black or white. Those with testimonies and those without. No longer those who aren't sure. 

We are in a new era right now, and we have been given a new presidency to handle the last days challenges that are just around the corner. I have such a strong feeling that the days of candy coating the gospel are now in the past. The scripture that came to mind was, 

2 Nephi 28:24-28


Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!
Wo be unto him that crieth: All is well!
Yea, wo be unto him that hearkeneth unto the precepts of men, and denieth the power of God, and the gift of the Holy Ghost!
Yea, wo be unto him that saith: We have received, and we need no more! 
And in fine, wo unto all those who tremble, and are angry because of the truth of God! For behold, he that is built upon the rock receiveth it with gladness; and he that is built upon a sandy foundation trembleth lest he shall fall.
I believe we are at that point in time where we can no longer be at ease in Zion. We can no longer live mediocre and practice the gospel on the fence or when it's convenient. I think the changes coming with this new leadership will reflect that, and I'm excited to witness the days ahead. 

I fully support and sustain our new presidency. They are incredible men with amazing strength, zeal, and confidence and I am thrilled to see what unfolds for their legacy. Having said that (for those of you who haven't watched yet), I wanted to end this post with the very last address that President Uchtdorf and his wife gave before the new presidency was announced - this was Sunday night to the Young Adults. During this address he knew that he had not been called again to the First Presidency of the Church. He had already accepted his new assignments in the Quorum of the Twelve. Realizing that while listening to his address can bring peace to those who may be struggling with the change. Though he looked very tired and not full of his usual vibrance (early that morning the apostles were called and set apart at a special meeting in the Salt Lake Temple. President Nelson said it was a unanimous decision and a very sacred and humbling experience), I truly feel he is at peace with his new call, and we should be as well. You may find comfort in his own words from his Sunday night address when he said, “I can assure you, the Lord Himself is at the head of His Church."

I testify that is true. In Jesus' name amen. 


1 comment:

Beth said...

I really love your insight here about the compassionate focus of the previous presidency and the perhaps more firm love of the current. That is not a thought I had considered, but I can see that now that you point it out. After being announced, I began listening to Elder Nelson talks since he was called in the early 80's so I could get to know him better. One of the things that stuck out to me is that during the broadcast to members, President Nelson talked about how President Oaks has been by his side in the counsel meetings for years, and what a comfort it was to have him by his side now as President. As I've watched the earliest talks from Pres. Nelson, I realized that he and Pres. Oaks were actually called to the 12 at the exact same time! They truly have been side by side for almost 40 years. It also surprised me to learn that President Nelson had no previous general authority callings before he was called to the 12. He just knew leaders because he was a doctor and friend to so many of them. The call to the 12 (which came the night before conference) came as a complete shock to him, and surprised his family so much that his daughter actually went into labor over it! lol. I'm sure Elder Oaks being called the same day bonded those two very quickly. Just one of the thoughts I"ve had as to one of the "whys" by the change - the unique relationship those two have and the type of support Dallin H. Oaks truly can provide. The other impression I had was Elder Utchdorf may be needed right now for some of the work on the ground the 12 tend to do, especially with his unique perspective of having been in the presidency. Although he may not speak as much through broadcasts to the worldwide church, he will be speaking so much more in person to church members, touring various parts of the world and meeting with missionaries, stake leaders, etc. My friend's dad is in the 70, and one of his first duties was to accompany a member of the 12 on his tour through Africa. They stopped and spoke at just about every stake they could from the top of Africa, down to the tip. It was an intense. It was a very direct, personal contact with members that I don't think the counselors to the President are able to do as much. When President Utchdorf was put back into the 12, my thoughts went immidiately to this and how much strength he will bring to members throughout the world with these types of visits. Just some more thoughts to add to yours! Thanks for much for sharing, I enjoyed this so much.