Friday, November 22, 2013

Seek and Ye Shall Find...

Lately, I have had the strongest desire to gain more knowledge, more quickly than I ever have before. I guess you could say I'm hungry for the doctrine, I'm hungry for revelation,  I'm hungry to know the mysteries and I'm hungry to find the answers.

I decided to stop by the library and check out some books about different gospel subjects. I didn't have anything in mind - I just went to see what I could find. When I found an isle that was full of LDS books I began grabbing whatever looked interesting until I had about 5 large, heavy books that seemed to be enough.

Wondering how I was going to find the time to read these all, I told myself that I would browse through them and get a feel for which books I should read first, and which ones could wait, or maybe didn't matter at all. I love the library because if I don't like the book, at least it was free and I can give it back. Plus I don't have the money to be spending on books right now.

Before I went to library I was on the phone with my sister and we were talking about personal revelation, being deceived by false doctrine, and finding your purpose. It's been on my mind a lot lately to discover my true purpose. So, the first book I happened to open up last night and read started out with these very topics. I read three chapters and then picked up a second book and read the first chapter, which happened to be titled, "The Honest Truth Seekers" which taught me how to seek truth the best way and get answers. In fact it quoted (D&C 88:118),

 "..seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also be faith".

 I couldn't believe that out of my random stack of books, the ones I had selected were answering questions I had on my mind that day. This chapter had confirmed what I was doing. I felt it was the Lord telling me, "Yes, you are doing what I would like you to do. I commend you."

 After I finished reading, I knelt down to pray and asked that I might better learn my purpose and to know if a certain book I had read was true (after others had said it to be false). When I finished my prayer I went to read my scriptures where I had last left off - and lo and behold, this is what I read (2 Nephi 32: 1-5)

 "And now behold, my beloved brethren, I suppose that ye ponder somewhat in your hearts concerning that which ye should do after ye have entered in by the way. But behold, why do ye ponder these things in your hearts?

"Do ye not remember that I said unto you that after ye had received the Holy Ghost ye could speak with the tongue of angels? And now, how could ye speak with the tongue of angels save it were by the Holy Ghost?

"Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do."
 
"Wherefore, now after I have spoken these words, if ye do not understand them it will be because ye ask not, neither do ye knock; wherefore, ye are not brought into the light, but must perish in the dark.

"For behold, again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do."

I leaned that the power of the Holy Ghost is also the words of Christ. So, if I receive the Holy Ghost, I am receiving the words of Christ. He will show me all things that I should do - if I feast upon His words.

I was so happy! This scripture spoke to me! These are His words - telling me that I am on the right path. I am feasting through scripture and good books. I am asking through prayer and He will show me what I should do (my purpose).

Anyways, this was exciting. It had been a while since I had really put some effort into study, learning and getting answers. I forgot how quickly they can come. All you have to do is ask. I could feel my spirit jump for joy as it must have known that I was finally on the right path - trying to learn my purpose so I can make sure I'm doing it and not distracted.

I know that if anyone has a question for the Lord and they ask, believing He will answer; He will!  I say this in the name of Jesus Christ amen.

No comments: