Thursday, March 26, 2020

Learn to Let Go!

An important reminder during these times: this cake platter right here was my most favorite material possession in my house. Ridiculous, I know. I bought it when we moved into our new home 8 years ago and not only has many a pretty cake had the privilege to stand upon it, but it’s served as a decoration in my kitchen over the years right next to the stove where I spend my time doing one of the things I love most - cooking. The few times we have had minor earthquakes in Davis County, I have moved this cake stand to safety in case another one would come. Because I fancy it so much 😄, I’ve always known in the back of mind that one day it would break so I better learn not to attach myself to material things. They really don’t matter at all. After the earthquake last week, I moved the cake stand to a safe spot between a sofa and a chair and there it has sat while we wait out the two weeks of aftershocks. Today my oldest child accidentally sat on it, and in that moment as I was taking it all in, I realized the symbolism of the situation. What matters most (my family) are safe healthy, and happy, while a ceramic cake stand that I can’t take with me when I leave this world has broke. It’s as though someone is saying, “Just getting you used to what lies ahead. This is a test. A sample of whats to come. Learn to be okay with losing your favorite possessions today. Handle this okay, and you’ll be just fine later on.” With that in mind, I let go of the initial shock and sadness. Picked it up, set it on the counter and moved on with my day. ❤️


No comments: