Monday, January 20, 2014

Why the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the Only True Church

If you've ever considered that the true church of Jesus Christ on the earth today should be organized exactly as it was when Christ Himself organized it when he was living on the earth, then you will really enjoy this!

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the only true church on the face of the earth today. Why? Because Jesus Christ himself heads the church - it is His church and as you can see in this recent devotional by Elder Tad R. Callister, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the only church on the face of the Earth that is set up exactly the same as it was during Christ's ministry on the earth.

The LDS church is not a new religion or a new church, it is the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. That means that when the fulness of the gospel was taken from the Earth after the death of the apostles, it was restored again in a latter day (our day) by Jesus Christ himself.

In an account by Newel Knight (one of the early members of the church ) said this about his thoughts upon hearing of Joseph Smith's restoration of Christ's church,

"So honest and plain were all his statements that there was no room for any misgivings with me on the subject. Besides, I found by reading and searching the Bible that there would be a great falling away from the gospel as preached and established by Jesus and His apostles, that in the last days God would set His hand again to restore that which was lost." ("Newel Knights Journal," in Scraps of Biography (Faith Promoting Series, Volume 10) (Salt Lake City, 1883), pp. 47-65

The Bible prophecies that Newel was referring to can be found in the old and New Testament:

 Isaiah 24:5–6; Amos 8:11–12 Acts 20:29–30; 2 Thessalonians 2:1–4; 2 Timothy 4:3–4; 2 Peter 2:1–3

In 325 A.D Christianity as founded by Jesus Christ was completely changed through the Council of Nicaea, and around the time of the fifth century A.D., Christianity had actually become a composite of Christian beliefs, practices, and doctrines; Jewish teachings and rituals; Greek, Roman, and Egyptian pagan philosophies; and pagan religions of various brands. The Holy Priesthood had been withdrawn from the earth. The power of godliness was no longer present in the Christian Church. Thus there was a complete falling away from the gospel which had been established by the Son of Man. The Church lay in darkness, and the darkness enveloped the earth. This spiritual darkness continued for hundreds and hundreds of years” (Milton R. Hunter, “The Missionary Assignment,” Improvement Era, Dec. 1951, 920).

The sure and best way to know that Joseph Smith truly did restore the gospel and that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the only true church today, is to pray about it and receive a witness from Holy Ghost for yourself. The Holy Ghost is the bearer of all truth.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the church of Jesus Christ of latter days saints is the only true church, why have they changed so many things from how Joseph Smith was taught they needed to be restored? If God never changes, then why has the church changed and conformed to modern society? ie temple garments ect. I think they were the true church at one time, but have slowly lost priesthood as they have changed the ordinances. see tpjs. Just wondering?

Lindsey said...

The first thing that popped into my head as I read your comment was that because God loves us so much he gives us revelation for our day. We are always getting new revelation which is what I love most about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I thought about how we no longer live the law of Moses. That was a change made by God as the law was fulfilled. The people of Moses's time were living a law that was what they needed for their time. That wouldn't work today for the people of our time. God gives us what we need for our time and our day. We have very different challenges and needs.

As God's children began to change the church after the apostles died, the church in it's original state was lost. The keys were taken as man began to dictate his own definition of the makeup and nature of the Godhead.

God doesn't change but unfortunately the world does. As a people trying to live peacefully and righteously we are counseled to abide by the laws of the land. Man makes those laws, not God. We know that when Christ returns to rule and reign over the Earth we will be living by His law - the celestial law - the highest law. The world isn't prepared to live the highest law in it's current state but we know that day will come as the earth is cleansed and made ready.


Really, it comes down to having a personal witness for yourself. Anyone can tell me that something is true based on logic, evidence or fact but for me that's not enough. I have to really know for myself.I have received that witness so strong so many times in my life that I could never deny it. This knowledge has brought me the greatest peace and joy that I have ever known. Every time I study it out and ponder I can feel a warm and powerful burning in my heart. A cloak of warmth from head to toe. A light that consumes me. That witness alone has changed my life and blessed me in ways I can't even describe. The priesthood has had the same impact on my life and I could never doubt it's power or authority.

The experiences I continue to have in the temple and in my personal life are too sacred to share but if I could I would share in a heartbeat. This is my testimony that I have come to know for myself and it burns powerful. I know that all who desire to know what I know can be given that same witness through faith and prayer. When you receive it - it changes your life!

I hope that helps :)

Lindsey