Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Mysteries of God


The other night after reading my scriptures I began studying the Bible dictionary on some interesting topics which transpired some new thoughts for me. Here is what I read below under the definition of “God”.

God

Although God created all things and is the ruler of the universe, being omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent (through his Spirit), mankind has a special relationship to him that differentiates man from all other created things: man is literally God’s offspring, made in his image, whereas all other things are but the work of his hands. Acts 17: 28-29)

Yes, I knew this before but had never thought about it this way until now. We really are children of God. Just like we are the offspring of our biological parents, we are the real offspring of our heavenly parents. That’s what makes us unique among all His other creations. Thus we take on His image and have the amazing ability to become like Him someday.

Elder Bruce R. McConkie stated

“God himself, the Father of us all, established a plan of salvation whereby his spirit children might progress and become like him. It is the gospel of God, the plan of Eternal Elohim, the system that saves and exalts, and it consists of three things. These three are the very pillars of eternity itself. They are the Creation, the Fall, and the Atonement.”

Elder Mark E. Petersen stated

“Who would exchange the privilege of becoming like God for the very questionable and temporary advantages of this world? Our actions demonstrate whether we are working toward becoming like God or the world.”

Psalms 82:6

“I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.”

No, I don’t believe for a minute that in the next life God’s children just float around on clouds and play harps. We all have a divine purpose and destiny now and throughout eternity. As we seek to find that purpose, then gradually that knowledge will be given to us.

On Earth we set goals and strive to achieve more, it is no different in the next life. There is work to be done and God has so much to teach us. We will have great responsibilities depending on our decisions we made in this life.

This knowledge is what keeps me motivated to do my best in this life. Knowing and understanding my potential makes it easier to withstand temptation. We are taught in the scriptures that when Christ returns he will reveal the mysteries of God. I look forward to that day and am very excited to know about things that are beyond my mortal comprehension. Though I struggled with chemistry and pretty much all sciences in school, I know that in the next life I will understand it inside and out. That is mind blowing.

I have a very humbling respect and deep love for our Heavenly Father and I know that He desires for us to have the desire to learn, grow and have a relationship with Him. There is so much He wants to share with us and we must be willing to seek Him each day in order to feel His love and receive His knowledge. This is my testimony in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.

No comments: