Monday, October 28, 2013

What is the "Household of Faith"?

I received my patriarchal blessing when I was thirteen years old. There is a topic in there that I never quite understood until recently. It speaks of me being raised in a "household of faith".

Being thirteen I took that as meaning that that I must have learned a lot about faith growing up under my mom's roof. I thought that odd because nothing particular came to mind. We were poor most of my childhood and so I wondered if the Lord was referring to us having to rely on our faith to get us through hard times.

A couple years ago, something prompted me to look deeper into that phrase. I Googled it and soon learned that the household of faith is more than what I thought it was. These are the amazing talks I discovered.

The first is called, "Households of Faith" by Bruce R. McConkie. I remember wishing that Elder McConkie was still alive so I could ask him what the "household of faith" is as it is mentioned in the scriptures and he was the church expert on Mormon doctrine.So, you can imagine how thrilled I was to discover that he had written an article about it before my time. It's an amazing and powerful article.
http://www.lds.org/ensign/1971/04/households-of-faith

The second is a conference talk by J. Richard Clarke called. "The Household of Faith" which was clearly written for our time. What's interesting is, I forgot about all of this until today when scrolling through facebook a friend of mine posted the talk. It is so relevant to our day that it's almost a little eerie. After reading it again, I felt prompted to share with you as well.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1980/10/the-household-of-faith?lang=eng&cid=facebook-shared

I hope you enjoy these amazing talks and I would love to hear your thoughts.

I know the words of these great men to be true with all my heart. I say this in the name of Jesus Christ amen. 

No comments: