Sunday, September 30, 2012

Casting Out Satan

A week ago I was gathered around the dinner table with my siblings and in-laws enjoying dinner. My little sister brought up a show she had watched about people who were plagued by various demons. A demon that tells you - you are no good, a demon that creates an addiction, a demon that tells you to lust after things that are the opposite of God's laws. Pretty much anything (thought or behavior) that brings on depression is the root of Satan. If you are unhappy for any reason, you have a demon nearby feeding you those negative thoughts. She went on to say that the show concludes with the instruction to cast Satan out in the name of Jesus Christ.

We have heard this before in the New Testament where Jesus cast out devils. In Doctrine and Covenants 35:9 the Lord says,

And whoso shall ask it in my name in faith, they shall cast out devils; they shall heal the sick; they shall cause the blind to receive their sight, and the deaf to hear, and the dumb to speak, and the lame to walk.

I remember when I was young always imagining that to be plagued by demons and devils must look like a scene from a horror movie. Now I know that's not always true. I also used to think that a person who was suffering from the powers of Satan must have invited him in somehow. That too, is not always true. When we are about to embark on something very pleasing to our Heavenly Father, that's when Satan is most powerful and most near. He doesn't want us to succeed at doing good works and receiving blessings. In fact, I had a personal experience this week that confirmed this.

I had just released a song I recently wrote and recorded. All day long I was getting the kindest words and feedback about it. That evening I received 2 emails about the song. The problem with email is that we lose out on important components of communication and the words are left to the interpretation of our own imagination. Satan had me interpret these emails in a negative tone of voice with sarcasm. Then the thoughts came, "You just aren't good enough." - "Look at how you've humiliated yourself. This is just the beginning." - "What were you thinking? People are laughing at your voice. You are a joke." 

These thoughts would not stop, and of course I just assumed they were my own thoughts - my conscience telling me what I didn't want to hear. As I began to slip into a depression, I felt weighed down and hopeless. It was strange that I must have received 30 or more compliments that day and these 2 emails seemed to erase everything good. I didn't like how I was feeling. It was then I remembered the conversation my family and I had at the dinner table just days earlier.

I knew that Satan putting these thoughts into my mind and I was allowing him to. It was time to take some quick actions. I said out loud will full faith and boldness "In the name of Jesus Christ I command you to leave Satan."  Just like that he was gone. The weight came off of my body. I suddenly felt a rush of joy and peace. Then I felt a warm, heavenly embrace as if someone had wrapped a warm cloak around my body. I felt all tingly from head to toe and I knew that I wasn't alone. I could feel more than one person around me - loving me and applauding me for calling on the savior. I couldn't help but smile. I was then guided towards my bed and it felt as if I was floating on air. Like I was being carried - I felt so light weight. The previous nights I had struggled with sleep from all the cares of the day but this time as I felt my head hit the pillow I felt so safe and so at peace. It reminded me of how a child feels when a parent tucks them in and then stays close by to watch them fall asleep.

This was a testimony to me that whenever a bad thought enters our mind all we have to do is call upon the name of our Savior and exercise our faith. His name alone will remove Satan from our presence. It can be thoughts, trials, challenges, fears, anxieties, or any sorrow/suffering. Cast out Satan's power over you and hand it over to the Lord. He will lift you up, comfort you, protect you, and wrap his arms around you.

You can expect this to happen often when you are going through an area of improvement in your life. Whenever you try to spiritually progress, serve someone, kick a bad habit etc., you will be met by the adversary. He does not want you to improve or progress or help others to do so. He will do all he can to knock you down on your knees. But when you are on your knees, remember the Lord and cry out unto Him. He will save you in your hour of despair and there is no limit - His love is endless.

I say this in His holy name, amen.



1 comment:

Tiffanie said...

great thoughts Lindsey - a book that helped me learn this like you have was the book "Through His eyes" by Virginia Hinckely Pearce - that's another good one for you to check out. :) (BTW, Your song is beautiful and I'm so impressed with people who can capture their feelings with music, beautiful!)