Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Heavenly Mother


In lieu of Mother's Day I wanted to post this thought about mothers. For those individuals who have not known a mother in this lifetime this is a message of hope and love.

There is an LDS hymn written by Eliza R. Snow who felt inspired to write it after the prophet Joseph Smith had taught her the principle of heavenly parents.

Oh My Father

O my Father, thou that dwellest
In the high and glorious place;
When shall I regain thy presence,
And again behold thy face?

In thy holy habitation
Did my spirit once reside?
In my first primeval childhood
Was I nurtur'd near thy side?

For a wise and glorious purpose
Thou hast plac'd me here on earth,
And withheld the recollection
Of my former friends and birth:

Yet oft times a secret something
Whispered you re a stranger here;
And I felt that I had wandered
From a more exalted sphere.

I had learn'd to call thee father
Through thy spirit from on high;
But until the key of knowledge
Was restor'd, I knew not why.

In the heav'ns are parents single? No, the thought makes reason stare; Truth is reason—truth eternal Tells me I've a mother there.

When I leave this frail existence—
When I lay this mortal by,
Father, mother, may I meet you
In your royal court on high?

Then, at length, when I've completed
All you sent me forth to do,
With your mutual approbation
Let me come and dwell with you.

I believe that we do have a Heavenly Mother and that she loves us very much. We are taught in The Family:A Proclamation to the World, that each person is a "spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents". Because we respect the sacredness of her existence, she is not mentioned in doctrine and we do not speak of her. Though we do not learn about her on Earth I believe someday we will. Knowing this helps me be the best mother I can be as to try and model the characteristics I feel that she has.

We are loved dearly by a merciful Heavenly Father and Mother who we will again see someday. It is my prayer that we always remember who we are, where we came from as well as our potential of what we may become. Knowing this will sustain us though our trials and help us as greatly influence our parenting skills. May we continue to pray to our Father in Heaven and always thank him for all we have. This I say in the name of Jesus Christ amen.

No comments: