Sunday, November 15, 2009

High on the Mountain Top

Yesterday my husband and I had the opportunity to go to the Draper temple. My mom lives in Sandy and she offered to watch our kids so we could go. It was such a cold and snowy day, and there were a few instances when we almost decided it would be warmer and safer just to stay home. I really felt strong about going though, and I knew that this is what the Lord wanted too and that he would protect us on our way there. So off we went!

Though there was ice in the parking lot and storm clouds lingering all around, it was so beautiful to be up there on that mountain. The beauty, peace and friendly faces seemed to instantly drown out the bitter cold air. It was 4:00 and a wedding had just let out. The beautiful beaming bride and groom made their way to the parking lot where we had just come from and it was so surreal to see such happy, smiley people in such frosty temperatures. The bride had on short sleeves and no coat yet was glowing with joy while surrounded by her family. It testified to me of how the temple and the ordinances performed there bring such a great deal of blessings and joy into the lives of those who partake in them.

As we entered the temple the first face I saw happened to be my visiting teacher Natalie and her husband. We both smiled with a look of surprise. Such a coincidence that we both happened to travel from Clearfield to Draper that day both using the excuse of visiting family as a reason to go to the Draper temple for the first time. It was a warm and welcoming feeling to be greeted by a familiar face in such a heavenly and holy place. I was reminded of Heaven and imagined how similar it will be when we enter for the first time and are greeted by caring, loving familiar faces.

My husband and I didn’t realize that the Draper temple doesn’t rent out clothing but it did help us realize that we now know what to get each other for Christmas this year. We had planned on performing sealings but it now appeared we had no choice but to do initiatory. Keeping in mind that all things happen for a reason, I soon realized what a blessing initiatory work would be for me that day. It had been so long since we had done them and I had forgotten their significance. Hearing the words of promises and blessings repeated by the sweet temple workers over and over was just what I needed. The women there that day seemed so familiar and they said the same about me. I knew it was because in the temple the veil becomes thin and a remembrance of our life before becomes more clear. I am sure that I knew these kind and loving women before and I was grateful for their service in the temple that day.

The rest of the day just seemed to flow so perfectly. We went to a turkey dinner that night with family and everyone was in the best of spirits. My husband always becomes more handsome to me when I see him serve the Lord and when we do it together. He really glowed that night. I thought to myself how much I wish I could go more often to the temple so that I could have this peaceful feeling all the time. The blessings that come from going to the temple are so real. But it’s not just about being in the temple that brings these blessings, its about the work that is performed there. This is what our Heavenly Father and our passed loved ones need us to do for them. They rely on us to do this great work and by doing so it blesses more lives than we’ll ever know.

The Savior himself spent much time visiting and teaching in temples. Temples have been of great importance since the time of Moses when they were introduced to the children of Israel after escaping Egypt as they were required to prepare a sanctuary, wherein Jehovah would manifest His presence and make known His will as their accepted Lord and King. There are many scriptures that touch on the topics of temple work and redeeming the dead.

Mathew 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

John 5:25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.


1 Peter 4:6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

2Nephi 12:2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, when the mountain of the Lord’s house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills, and all nations shall flow unto it.


3 And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths; for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.



This morning I woke up with the impression that my husband and I need to do the work for his deceased loved ones. It had not been on my mind for a while but clearly someone was reminding me that this is important and should not be put off any longer. Later today at church, each lesson was happened to be about the temple and doing work for our loved ones. Someone has clearly been preparing me, and I recognize the Lord’s hand in all things. We are not just brought into this life to have a great experience for ourselves, we are here to bless the lives of others as well. Time is running short and the Savior’s coming is sooner than we realize.

Mathew 24: 44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

D&C 133:17 For behold, the Lord God hath sent forth the angel crying through the midst of heaven, saying: Prepare ye the way of the Lord, and make his paths straight, for the hour of his coming is nigh


There are countless scriptures that testify that the Lord’s coming is soon and when we least expect it. I believe that is why temple attendance and genealogy are being emphasized so much in our meetings manuals, through our leaders and by the prophet and apostles.

I am going to make temple work, genealogy and sharing the gospel my life’s new mission. Aside from my busy duties and responsibilities as a mother, wife, compassionate service leader, business owner and all the other hats I wear, I feel this is something the Lord wants all of us to be doing more of. I want Him to be able to count on me whenever He needs me and know that what is important to Him is also important to me. That’s one of the best ways we can all show our love for Him.

I challenge you to make the Lord’s priorities yours as well. You will be amazed at the difference it will make in your life. If you desire to feel needed, have purpose and meaning, make a difference in this life and the next, have spiritual experiences and feel an abundance of love and blessings poured down from Heaven; then become in line with the Lord and His purposes. When you do this you will have a greater understanding of the love He has for all of us and a strong desire to be like Him.

This I testify in the name of Jesus Christ amen.

No comments: